The Burn Bouldering Series
Keep the Fire Going
Burn Bouldering Series FAQ
What are the Covid-Friendly Measures in Place for the Series?
Here are the details of the Covid-related policies we will be using for the 20-21 Burn Series:
- Competitors will be required to sign a form verifying that they have had no Covid-related symptoms in the 24 hours prior to attending any Burn Series event. Anyone with a recent history of COVID symptoms will not be allowed in the event.
- Competitors will have their temperature checked prior to entering the competition. Individuals with temperatures over 100.4 will not be allowed at the event.
- Anyone who can provide documentation of a NEGATIVE COVID Test that was taken within 3 days of the competition will not be subject to symptom checks
- Competitors who do not pass the above checks will be eligible for a full refund, or a credit for another Burn event or related PRG Service.
To speed up registration, we strongly recommend you get a FREE COVID test within 3 days of the competition. Free Covid tests are available at the following locations.
Masks are Mandatory
- As is standard PRG Covid policy, masks will be required for all competitors at all times.
- Competitors who are unable to comply with the usage of face masks will not be allowed at the event, and will be eligible for a refund as per the Burn Series Covid Refund Policy.
- Extra masks will be provided if you forget yours!
Separate Gyms for Separate Comps
- To minimize the number of people in the gym and other social distancing concerns, Youth and Adult categories will compete at separate PRG locations.
Social Distancing is Required!
- Only 25 competitors will be allowed in the gym at a time.
- Climbing Heats will be staggered by 30 minutes to allow the previous heat to exit the competition before the new heat begins.
- Climbing zones will be spread out to allow for 6ft spacing of climbers.
- Hand Sanitizer stations will be provided.
- Liquid Chalk will be available for purchase
What are the Changes for this Year's Series vs Last Year?
The Covid-19 crisis has required all of us to adapt the way we do many things in order to address with the health and economic issues that has come along with it. So, here is a list of the significant changes to the Series for 2020-21:
- Youth Events and Adult Events are held at different locations.
- For details please see the previous FAQ question.
- Each Event will have Four Timeslots
- To accommodate social distancing recommendations, we are restricting competitors to one of four timeslot throughout the day.
- Competitors may sign up for the heat of their choice subject to a hard cap of 25 climbers per timeslot. No exceptions will be made to this cap.
- No Open Finals in Burn Qualifiers
- Covid restrictions prevent us from having an audience for our Open Competitors.
- There Will Be a Cash Purse Only for the Series Final Event
- Due to the economic difficulties the crisis and re-opening has caused many businesses, including climbing gyms, it is not possible for us to commit to a Cash Purse for any of our Qualifier events–our sponsors are struggling as much as we are. We deeply appreciate your support and understanding on this matter as we navigate the complexities of re-opening under Covid restrictions. We hope to return to a more normal Series Purse in 2021!
- Prizes will be limited.
- As with the point above, the current crisis has made finding prizes nearly impossible for the Series. There will be some, but much of it will be through raffles.
- There will, however, be Awards for each category!
- Again, we appreciate your support and understanding on this matter. It is our aim to return to a more typical Purse in 2021.
- Results will be Announced at the End of the Day
- Due to the new Timeslot format, we will not be able to announce Final Results for a Burn Qualifier until approximately 9 pm on Saturday evening.
- Results will be posted online to the Burn Series pages when complete. Awards will be available for pickup starting the following Sunday at 10 am.
- Competitors who are unable to get to a PRG to pickup there awards (or prizes) will be able to make arrangements with the PRG for mailing.
- Protest procedures for scoring will be adjusted to accommodate this new schedule and will be announced at the event.
What is the Burn Series Refund Policy?
Due to the unique nature of the current situation with Covid, we are modifying our Refund Policy to insure the best possible experience for our competitors:
- Refund Policy for Individual Event Purchases
- If you purchased a registration for a single event (rather than a Series Pass), you may receive a Full Refund if you request it more than 24 hours prior to the start of the event. Requests must be made by phone or by email (listed below).
- Cancelling your registration less than 24 hours before the event starts will make you eligible for a credit (either on your account or as a PRG Gift Card) for any PRG Service in the future.
- Exception: Cancelling your registration prior to the start of an event for reasons related to Covid safety (e.g. you become ill, or suspect you may have had contact with someone who has Covid, or you have such concerns for someone in your household, etc.) will make you eligible for a Full Refund regardless of the 24 hour period described above.
- Refund Policy for Series Passes
- Series Passes are Fully Refundable up to 24 hours prior to the first Burn Series event you are registered to attend.
- If you want to cancel a Series Pass less than 24 hours before the first event you are registered to attend, you will be eligible for a credit (either on your account or as a PRG Gift Card) for any PRG Service in the future.
- Exceptions: Cancelling your Series Pass prior to the start of the first event you are registered to attend for reasons related to Covid safety (e.g. you become ill, or suspect you may have had contact with someone who has Covid, or you have such concerns for someone in your household, etc.) will make you eligible for a Full Refund regardless of the 24 hour period described above. In addition, after you have attended one or more Burn events, should you wish to cancel your Series Pass for Covid-related reasons, you will be eligible for a pro-rated refund on the remainder of your pass (which will be equal to Full Series Pass Cost minus the standard cost ($39.95) of each event you actually attended.
- Please note: If you cancel a Series Pass and decide you wish to attend a future 2020-21 Burn Series event anyway, you will be charged the non-discounted rate for any such event you register for. In other words, a Series Pass cannot be reactivated once cancelled.
- How do I request a refund?
- Please call 877-822-7673 and select the facility where your event will be held, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can attend?
Anyone! Both Kids and Adults–Open and Amateur.
How can I help?
It takes a lot of dedicated individuals to put on an exceptional competition. We are always looking for interested volunteers who can help make these events the best they can possibly be. In particular, volunteers can help with:
- Judging Routes
- Set Up
- Route Setting
If you would like to volunteer for this event, please send us an email. Volunteers get the best seats in the house! Thanks in advance!
How Does It Work?
The Burn Bouldering Series consists of four bouldering competitions – the Midnight Burn, the Heart Burn, the Winter Burn, and the Final Burn. Each event will follow the same format as the Burn’s always have, and awards will be based for each event on performance in that event.
All four competitions are open events for all categories. Competitors in each event will not only vie to win each comp (and the awards that entails), but also to win the Overall Burn Series, which will be selected in each category based on each competitor’s combined performance throughout the entire series! For more details please download our Burn Series Rules & Guidelines.
To be eligible for an Overall Burn Series title and awards, a competitor must compete in the Final Burn and at least two other Burn Series events.
How do I register?
Give us a call or follow the links above to each Burn page to register online.
Registration for each Burn event opens one month prior to the event date.
What is my ranking?
When you look at the Series Rankings you will notice at the far right hand side for each category there is a column labelled Ranking. Your Burn Series Ranking is a system for tracking your performance relative to other members of your category throughout the year at our Burn events. Each competitor in each category will start the series with a point value for their Ranking, based on either their performance from the previous season, or, in the case of new entrants, a mean point value. At the end of the first event, after all the places are calculated, each competitor will have their Ranking Points adjusted to reflect their finishing place in the event. Competitors will carry their Ranking points from the first event into the second. After the places at the second event are calculated, new Ranking points will be assigned based on placements, and and overall Series Ranking (up to that point) will be calculated. And so on for further events.
The basic idea is as follows: At the end of a given comp, your Ranking points will be adjusted based on how many other competitors in your category placed above you or below you. For those you place higher than, your points will increase based on how their points compare to yours at the beginning of the event–you get a large bump for placing above someone who was ranked higher than you, less of one for placing above someone who was ranked at or below you. And, the converse is true for those that place above you–your points will decrease for each person placing above you, less for those who are already ranked higher than you, more for those ranked lower. In the end, the balance of these adjustments to your Ranking points will update your Ranking for each successive comp.
What does it all mean? Basically, the higher your points, the better your rank in the Burn Series.
Questions or comments about the Ranking or Invitations to the Championships?
What is the Format?
The format of each event will be an Open Redpoint Format with a Modified (Highpoint) World Cup Finals for Open Competitors. Climbers’ rank in pre-lims will be based on their top 5 problems. There is no limit on the number of tries. For Open Categories there will be a final round, for up to 8 competitors, or one more than half of competitors present, whichever is smaller. The format for Finals will be Modified (Highpoint) World Cup (sometimes called Onsight). All competitors are expected to be familiar with these rules prior to attending the competition. For a more detailed description of formats and rules, please download our Burn Series Rules and Guidelines.
Please note: Formats are subject to change at any time, subject to the discretion of the PRG. Please call or check back for updated information.
Historical Rankings / Results